Magazine Strip Silhouette Art
Miss Leyna has another unique craft for you! Make a beautiful piece of wall art with some old magazines, a canvas, and some basic art supplies. The possibilities for this art style are endless and completely up to you, so show us your creations on social media by tagging @PrebleLibrary or sending us a private message!
Downloads & Resources:
- Visit the PCDL website
You will need:
- Acrylic craft paints
- Paint brushes
- Old magazines
- Mod Podge
- Gather scrap magazines from your home.
- Find a blank canvas.
- Print any shape silhouette you like.
- Cut as many magazine strips (approximately a quarter of an inch wide) in different patterns as you think you will need to cover your silhouette.
- Flip over your printed image of your silhouette so that you can just barely see the shape through the piece of white paper.
- Starting at the top, start gluing the strips (horizontally or vertically - your choice!) over the silhouette image. Completely cover the image.
- Flip over the piece of paper so that you are looking at the black printed silhouette again.
- Cut carefully around the edge of the silhouette.
- Flip back over and you should have a shape made of magazine strips.
- Prep your canvas how you like and let dry (I painted mine green with accent colors).
- Glue your shape onto the canvas using Mod Podge.
- Let dry and then Mod Podge over the shape to ensure it is sealed and stays on the canvas. Use Mod Podge over the entire canvas to create a uniform look.
- Great Job! Display proudly.